This WordPress plugin provides security functionality and integration with Fail2ban.
Basic security functionality includes:
- Disabling login with username (require e-mail address)
- Preventing user enumeration (?author=nnn)
- Less detailed error messages on login failures
- Minimum username length
- Blocking specific usernames from being used to register new users
- Requiring e-mail address matching for new user registrations
- Warning about new user role setting
- Blocking of portions or all of WordPress REST API
- Disabling of RSS and Atom feeds
- Removal of “Generator” information from HTML and feeds
- Detection of Cloudflare IP addresses for logging of actual IP addresses
The plugin also plays nicely with Fail2ban, which is an advanced way of blocking IP addresses dynamically upon suspicious behavior.
- This plugin may work with earlier versions of WordPress
- This plugin has been tested with WordPress 5.5+ at the time of this writing
- This plugin optionally makes use of
- This plugin may create entries in your PHP error log (if active)
- This plugin contains no tracking code and does not store any information about users
The Fail2WP Plugin was written by Joaquim Homrighausen while converting caffeine into code.
Fail2WP is sponsored by WebbPlatsen i Sverige AB, Stockholm, Sweden.
Commercial support and customizations for this plugin is available from WebbPlatsen i Sverige AB in Stockholm, Sweden.
If you find this plugin useful, the author is happy to receive a donation, good review, or just a kind word.
If there is something you feel to be missing from this plugin, or if you have found a problem with the code or a feature, please do not hesitate to reach out to email@example.com.
More detailed documentation is available at code.webbplatsen.net/documentation/fail2wp/
Kudos to Thomas Lutz.
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Upload the contents of the
fail2wpfolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Configure the basic settings
- To enable Fail2ban integration, you will need to modify your Fail2ban configuration. Please see
Is the plugin locale aware
Fail2WP uses standard WordPress functionality to handle localization/locale. The native language localization of the plugin is English. It has been translated to Swedish by the author.
Are there any incompatibilities
This is a hard question to answer. There are no known incompatibilities.
Colaboradores e desenvolvedores
“Fail2WP” é um software com código aberto. As seguintes pessoas contribuíram para este plugin.Colaboradores
Registro de alterações
- Verified with WordPress 5.8
- Added minimum username length
- Added blocking of specific usernames (user registration)
- Added requiring e-mail address matching setting
- Added warning about new user role setting
- Added blocking of portions or all of WordPress REST API
- Added setting to disable RSS and Atom feeds
- Added setting to remove “Generator” information from HTML and feeds
- Minor corrections and general improvements
- Initial release